At Ashmead Combined School, we believe that the ability to write with confidence and accuracy is an essential life skill. Writing is a complex process that draws upon more than handwriting and spelling. It is the ability to effectively communicate ideas, information and opinions in a wide range of contexts. Successful writers use different text types appropriately, matching it to audience and purpose. We aim to equip children with the skills necessary to achieve this throughout the curriculum.
Our aim is for all children at Ashmead Combined School to:
- Write with confidence, clarity and imagination;
- Understand and apply their knowledge of phonics, grammar and spelling;
- Understand how to write for a range of purposes and audience, in a range of genres (including fiction, non-fiction and poetry), using the appropriate style, structure and features;
- Plan, draft, revise and edit their own work, and learn how to self and peer assess against the success criteria;
- Develop a technical vocabulary through which to understand and discuss their writing;
- Develop their imagination, creativity, expressive language and critical awareness